- Box Content
- LED Strip Installation
- Permanent Strip Installation for Non-Stick Surfaces
- Software Driver for Windows
- Software Driver for Raspberry Pi
- LED Strip
- AmbiLED Controller
- Main Adapter with US,UK,EU and AU plugs
- USB Cable
LED Strip Installation
- Preparing The Monitor Surface
The strip comes with 3M 200MP adhesive back. This adhesive is removable and reusable for few times depending on the dust on the surface. So, please clear the back of your monitor with soap and water and let it dry before installation. This is important for long term usage. If the monitor surface is non-stick or adhesive tape is loosing it’s adhesion capability, no worry, you can follow the 4th step of installation.
- Finding Right Position For The Strip
All monitor frames are different, so you should find the best location for the strips before installation.
The beam angle of LEDs are more than 120 degrees. So, you can install the strip to the sides or back depending on the distance between monitor and wall.
- a- You can install it on the frame tips. I’m using this setup with my Samsung LED TV.or you b- You can install the LED strip to the same position with your display. This type of installation helps to prevent orientation problems and requires shorter LED strip than first option.c- You can use the outer edges of your monitor. It’s a good option for thick wall mounted monitors. Illuminated wall area will be few times bigger than back mounted LEDs, but LEDs will be visible on the edges.
- Bending Corners
The strip is only 100 micron thick. So, you can bend it to any direction easily. The only important thing about it is the conductive copper lines on the strip. Do not bend it more than 8-10 times in any direction, the lines can break.
We are suggesting 2 types of bending method for corners.
1. 45 + 45 degrees bending
2. Sharp 90 degrees bending
Remove the non-stick paper from the strip, place and press it to the surface gently.
Finally, Press on the each LED to fix it.
- Montage of the Controller
The controller box is the smallest but the most important part of AmbiLED HD setup. The controller includes a microcontroller to convert USB signals to LED control signals and works as a hub to connect Power, USB and LED cables.
You will see an adhesive foam tape on the controllers back surface. This is a strong adhesive for single use only. So, please don’t attach your controller to back of your monitor before you are sure that everything is OK.
You can choose any place for the controller, but remember, we added a color/light sensor on it for future usages. You can place the controller to bottom/center of your monitor or sides for easy access.
- The Cables
1-Plug the LED Strip cable to the controller,
2- Plug the Power plug to the controller,
3- Plug the USB cable to the controller,
4- Plug the main adapter to the wall plug,5- Plug the USB cable to your computer and follow these steps for install the FTDI driver. (If you already have a working Arduino environment, you can safely skip this step.)
- Permanent Strip Installation To Non-Stick Surfaces
The adhesive material of the strip is reusable, so the adhesion capability depends on the load and surface conditions.
You can use contact adhesives to install, if it comes loose in time.
Just remove the strip from the surface,
Apply a thin layer contact adhesive to the surface and let it dry for 10 minutes.
Then press the strip to the surface. Now, it’s permanent on the surface but still you can remove if you wish. You just need more effort.
Warning: Do not use PVC glue or Instant glue to install. These adhesives damage the surface and the strip. We are suggesting only contact adhesives.
Software Driver for Windows
AmbiLED HD is an open source project which is based on Arduino platform.
The controller module includes an FTDI USB to Serial converter and an ATmega328P microcontroller at 16Mhz with Arduino Pro Mini 5V Bootloader. (No worry, If you are not an Arduino-savvy person)
- Download the AmbiLED HD Installer from this link.
- Run the Installer. It will install the software and place the FTDI driver files into the C:\Program Files (x86)\AmbiLED folder.
- Plug the USB cable to your computer. The Strip will turn on then off in 3 seconds. This is the start-up sequence of the controller.
Congratulations! Your setup is ready to use.
- Install the FTDI Driver.
Note: if you already have a working Arduino environment, you can safely skip this step.
Run the AmbiLED_HD.exe
AmbiLED_HD.exe will detect the last USB serial port on the computer and this is the right port for %90 of users and AmbiLED HD will run and you are ready for settings.
If you receive a com port error or nothing happens,
please check your setup, cables and plugs first. If everything is OK, go to settings for choosing right com port.
Software Driver for Raspberry Pi
If you are using standard media packages like RaspBMC or OpenElec, you don’t need to install any FTDI driver. For special linux distros, please Google it. you can find FTDI driver installation help from Raspberry Pi communities/forums.
Read this article for Hyperion software setup on Pi .